Monday, July 14, 2008

Perfect Cheesecake

  • 2 c graham cracker crumbs
  • 3/4 c butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 c granulated sugar, divided
  • 3 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping (optional)

  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 2 c sour cream
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1. Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 1/2 c sugar and press into the bottom of a spring form pan. Refrigerate while preparing the rest of the cake.

2. Preheat oven to 300F. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese with eggs, adding one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 c sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Blend well. Pour gently into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour; remove from oven.

3. Topping: Beat together sour cream, 1/2 c sugar, and remaining vanilla. Gently spread over hot cheesecake immediately after removing from oven. Return cheesecake to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Cool at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight before removing from pan.

A story: For Relief Society one summer we decided to learn how to make something new each month. I really wanted to learn how to make real cheesecake. I'd asked a girl in the ward to teach us, but she ended up bailing! So I had to learn how to make cheesecake and then teach everyone else. There were cheesecakes galore in my house as I tried to find the perfect recipe. I tried 4-5 different ones, and this is the best recipe I found. Enjoy!

No comments: