Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pepper-Stuffed Pork Chops & Gravy

So, there I was, watching "The Food Nanny" last week.  Normally I don't watch because her voice annoys me.  But I was sick, we don't have cable, and I didn't feel like putting in a movie.  So I watched her make a delightful dinner for 2 brothers.  I thought it looked tasty and filed it away in my mind for later. 

Well, later came last night.  We got a bunch of sweet mini peppers, as well as some anaheim peppers, in our Bountiful Basket this past weekend.  Done and done.

I modified the recipe a bit, to fit what I knew we'd eat.

What you'll need:
  • Boneless pork chops
  • Onion, diced (amount depends on how many chops you are making; I made 4 chops and used about half an onion)
  • Peppers, diced (I used 3 mini peppers and 1 anaheim pepper for 4 chops)
  • Chicken or beef broth
  • Creole seasoning to taste
Mix onions, peppers, and creole seasoning in a small bowl.  Set aside.  Cut a small slit in the top of each pork chop--mine were fairly thin, so I cut a slit all the way through the meat.  Place pork chops in a baking dish.  Spoon pepper & onions into the slit.  Pour chicken or beef broth AROUND the meat.  You don't want it swimming in broth, but you're going to make gravy with the juice at the end, so keep that in mind.  Cover with foil.  Cook at 300 for about an hour (longer if you have a lot of chops or are using a thicker cut of meat like a roast).

When meat is done, remove from oven and let rest a few minutes before serving.  In the meantime, melt 1/3 c of butter in a sauce pan; add 1/3 cup of flour to the butter; stir to combine and let cook for a couple of minutes.  Add butter/flour mixture to pork cooking juices and heat til thickened.  Enjoy! 

After taking a bite, Todd told me I didn't need to try so hard to impress him. 

This was super tasty and we'll definitely have it again.  We also had mashed potatoes, pineapple, asparagus, and salad (all from bountiful baskets!)

No comments: