Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Pasta with Beet Greens and Raisins

Sounds weird, right? We've started getting our weekly CSA box and it comes with all sorts of new treasures. Luckily, our CSA owners have a blog where they post recipes to try with the produce available in the weekly box. Thank goodness! We tried this one tonight and it was surprisingly tasty. I say surprisingly because there are so few ingredients and such a strange assortment of tastes!

  • 8 oz penne noodles, uncooked
  • 1/4 c raisins
  • 1-1/2 Tb olive oil
  • 2 c coarsely chopped beet greens
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/3 c slivered almonds, toasted
  • salt & pepper

  • Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
  • While pasta cooks, place raisins in a small bowl; cover with hot water. Let stand 10 minutes. Drain.
  • While pasta cooks and raisins soak, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add greens and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir in pasta, raisins, almonds, salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper, if desired.
I didn't have any almonds so I used walnuts instead. And I used closer to 1/2 c of raisins. Because we love them! Next time I make this, I'll probably double the amount of greens because they cook down so much. I think some parmesan cheese on top would be extra tasty!

No comments: