
- 1/2 T olive oil
- 1 T butter
- 1/2 C sliced carrots (abt 1 med carrot or 12 baby ones)
- 2 stalks celery, cut into smallish pieces
- 1 C onion, cut into smallish pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, cut into smallish pieces
- 1 medium butternut squash, roasted at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes (cut in half length-wise and roast cut side down)
- 1 medium potato, cut into smallish pieces
- 4 cans or 1 box chicken broth
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 3/4 t poultry seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper or a douse of hot sauce
1. Roast your squash. You can also peel and dice it uncooked, but I found that to be harder. Do what you want.
2. Chop your other vegetables. Don't worry too much about dicing them small and perfect. You're going to be pureeing this beauty at the end anyway.
3. Add olive oil and butter to soup pot. Add the vegetables when butter is melted. Add the chicken broth after 2-3 minutes. Then add the squash, the poultry seasoning, some salt, and the red pepper flakes.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cover. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes (until vegetables are tender).
5. Add brown sugar and stir.
6. Use your blender or an immersion blender to puree the soup.
7. Serve and enjoy!
I made this soup last week. I wasn't so sure about it at first, but I really loved it after trying it the second time--try, try again, right? I made some more this week and put it in small containers in the freezer for lunches because it's just that good. The combination of sweet and spicy is delightful!
Adapted from an Our Best Bites recipe.
1 comment:
Yum....I've never made it before but I just bought a huge squash today. This is now on the menu. Also, that tip about grating garlic has CHANGED MY LIFE! What have I been doing my entire life. Thanks for stopping by today!
Ellie
Post a Comment