Friday, February 6, 2009

Spinach-Artichoke Cheesy Tortellini

  • 1 10 (oz) box frozen spinach
  • 2 Tb olive oil
  • 1 Tb unsalted butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 small onion, peeled and halved
  • 2 Tb all-purpose flour
  • 1 c chicken broth
  • 1 c heavy cream
  • 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
  • 1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
  • a couple handfuls grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
  • 1 pound cheese tortellini
1. Boil a large pot of water to cook the pasta.
2. Microwave the spinach on high for 6 minutes to defrost
3. Heat a deep skillet over medium heat with the olive oil and butter. When the butter melts and is hot, add the garlic. Using a box grater, grate the onion directly into the skillet. Saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour into the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock, then the cream, and bring the sauce to a bubble. Season with nutmeg and reduce the heat to low.
4. Place the defrosted spinach in a clean kitchen towel and wring it dry. Separate it as you add it to the sauce. Stir in the chopped artichokes and a couple handfuls of cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
5. Salt the boiling water and cook the tortellini according to package directions, about 3-5 minutes. Drain it well and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately.

A couple of notes: I use fresh spinach because it's way less messy than frozen spinach. Also, I used cream the first time I made this, but used regular milk when I made it last night. It's just as good (and probably better for you) with milk.

This recipe is from Rachael Ray.

1 comment:

HeatherH said...

That sounds yummy! I'm still trying to come up with my own spinach recipe to try. . .