Saturday, April 14, 2012

Un-fried Refried Beans

I love beans.  I wanted to learn how to make my own refried beans, so I did some googling and tried a recipe.  I'll never eat refried beans from a can again!  You can make a large batch of these and freeze them for later.

  • 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped (don't get too crazy about chopping this too small--these beans cook all day and the vegetables pretty much melt into them)
  • 2 Tb garlic, minced
  • 2-3 tsp salt (you can add more later if needed)
  • 1-2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/8 tsp cumin, optional (why you'd want it optional is beyond me!)
  • 9 cups water
Put all but water in a large pot or crockpot (I haven't tried the crockpot yet--I just cook these on the stove); pour in water and stir to combine.
Cook in crockpot on high for 8 hours.  If cooking on the stove, bring to a boil and then cook on low all day.
When beans are soft, drain the liquid (but save it!) and mash with a potato masher or mixer.  Add reserved cooking liquid to thin as needed.  

1 comment: